Aidpage is a
support network.
Ask for help
Offer help
Sign up now


Talk to justanoldman
Show: Conversations justanoldman's posts only

Leroy the Redneck Reindeer

The is the best......

Talk to justanoldman

Worcester, Massachusetts Family Shelters For The Homeless

What are family shelters?

Family shelters provide temporary emergency housing for pregnant women and for families with children. People are allowed to stay in these shelters until they can find safe permanent housing. Family shelters are usually open 24 hours a day and offer a variety of support services.

Most family shelter spaces are for families who meet the eligibility requirements of the DHCD Emergency Assistance (EA) program. However, some family shelters have community beds for families not eligible for EA.

Am I eligible?

For most family shelters, you must meet the eligibility requirements for DHCD Emergency Assistance. See Emergency Assistance - Am I Eligible? For non-DHCD shelters and for community beds, you should call the shelter for eligibility requirements.

How do I apply?

For DHCD family shelters, you should apply for Emergency Assistance by speaking to a DHCD homeless coordinator at your local Department of Transitional Assistance office. For non-DHCD family shelters or for community beds, you should call the shelter directly. You can also call the DHCD Division of Housing Stabilization toll-free at 1-877-418-3308.

  • DHCD Homeless Coordinator
    Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA)
    Address: 9 Walnut Street
    Worcester, MA 01608               Map and directions
    Telephone: 1-800-249-2007

    DHCD Division of Housing Stabilization: 1-877-418-3308

Family shelters in the Worcester area

  • Youville House

    Address: 133 Granite Street
    Worcester, MA 01604               Map and directions
    Telephone: 508-753-3084
    Office hours: 24 hours, every day of the year.

    Eligibility: Homeless families with DHCD referral

  • Shepherd’s Place

    Address: 54 Queen Street
    Worcester, MA 01610               Map and directions
    Telephone: 508-757-5198
    Office hours: 24 hours, every day of the year

    Eligibility: Single parent families, females only, age 18 or older with DHCD referral

  • Friendly House

    Address: 87 Elm Street
    Worcester, MA 01609               Map and directions
    Telephone: 508-792-1799
    Office hours: 24 hours, every day of the year
    Homeless families with DHCD referral

  • Abby's House

    52 High Street
    Worcester, MA 01609               Map and directions
    Telephone: 508-756-5486
    Office hours: 24 hours a day, every day of the year
    Web site: Abby's House

    Eligibility: Homeless women age 18 or older, with or without children, with no current drug or alcohol use. DHCD referral is NOT needed.

  • Interfaith Hospitality Network

    114 Main Street
    Worcester, MA 01608               Map and directions
    Telephone: 508-798-6732
    Office hours: 8 AM to 5 PM, seven days a week
    Web site: Interfaith Hospitality Network

    Eligibility: Homeless families with children. DHCD referral is NOT needed.

Also see Family Shelters in Central Massachusetts on the Massachusetts Coalition for the Homeless web site.

Talk to justanoldman

Florida Homeless Emergency Cash Assistance

EFAHP provides a one-time payment of up to $400 to families who are totally without shelter or face the loss of shelter because of non-payment of rent or mortgage. It also helps those families who have had household disasters such as fire, flood, or other accidents.

Eligibility requirements include:

  1. The household must have at least one child under the age of 18.
  2. The household must live in Florida, or be working or looking for work in Florida.
  3. At least one child or caretaker in the home must be a U. S. citizen or legal resident.
  4. You must have proof of your housing emergency, for example, a copy of a court ordered eviction or foreclosure notice. In the event of a natural disaster such as fire or flood, the EFAHP office can make a telephone call to the sheriff's office, fire department, Department of Children and Families' office, etc., if you provide us with a phone number.
  5. If you do not have enough money in your checking/savings accounts, or the cash to pay your rent or mortgage.
  6. The total household income is compared to the State of Florida's need standard to decide whether the household is eligible.
    Income Eligibility Requirements
    (per income guidelines published in the Federal Register, February 2009)
    Household Size Monthly Income Household Size Monthly Income
    1 Not Eligible 5 $4,299 or Less
    2 $2,429 or Less 6 4,922 or Less
    3 3,052 or Less 7 $5,620 or Less
    4 3,675 or Less 8 6,169 or Less
    Each additional member add $624
  7. All income received during the month you apply is considered, except for those household members who receive SSI.
  8. If you are having financial problems, it must be due to a real emergency, and not from mishandling your money.
  9. You must provide proof of your present living address. Examples include a rent receipt, utility bill, or other paperwork that lists the name of the head of household or other caretaker, and the present address.
  10. Your application must be signed and dated.
How To Apply

To apply for the Emergency Financial Assistance for Housing Program, the following forms must be completed:

This information is provided in PDF format and requires the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is available from Adobe at no charge. Viewers can convert PDF files to html through the Adobe website.

Completed forms, along with proof of your housing emergency (3 day eviction notice, default notice, or foreclosure notice, etc.) should be mailed to:

Department of Children and Families
Office on Homelessness - PDHO
1317 Winewood Blvd.
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0700

Please call us toll-free at 1-877-891-6445 [or in Tallahassee at (850)488-3700] if you have any questions.

Talk to justanoldman

How to Find Financial Aid And Advice For Cancer

A diagnosis of cancer is never easy, but it can be even more stressful when you’re struggling to pay for costly treatments and medications. For some patients, the financial burden is apparent at diagnosis, while for others, it builds up over the course of years of treatment. If you’re not sure where to turn for financial help, read on: There are government, nonprofit and private resources available—and people who can help you sort through the options.

Patients are often embarrassed to discuss financial issues, but they need to reach out. “People [need] to speak up before cancer becomes a tremendous financial crisis,” says Jane Levy, the director of Patient Assistance Programs for CancerCare, a national patient advocacy and support organization.

One place to start is with government programs. Medicaid provides health insurance for low-income individuals and families who meet its requirements. Since Medicaid laws vary from state to state, you’ll want to visit the Medicaid website to learn how the program operates in your state, says Levy. Patients with cancer may also qualify for Social Security disability benefits. Not all cancer patients are considered disabled, but those with advanced cancer are sometimes considered disabled by Social Security’s definition.

Another place to turn is your local hospital, where you may find programs that are available for uninsured and underinsured patients. The federal government’s Hill-Burton program provides funds to hospitals for free or low-cost services for low-income families. Most hospitals have financial counselors or a business office that may be able to help patients understand financial options, says Levy. It’s also a good idea to visit a hospital social worker, who could help you determine what assistance programs your hospital offers. Your hospital social worker can also help you understand your options and find other resources in your community.

Not all individuals qualify for government or low-income assistance, but there are many nonprofit and private organizations that provide financial aid and advice to patients facing cancer. CancerCare, for example, offers patients a number of support services, including financial assistance, says Levy. It provides small grants for medically related services, such as treatment and medication, and also works with organizations such as the Avon Foundation and Susan G. Komen for the Cure to offer generous grants for women with breast cancer. In addition to these grants, CancerCare social workers can help patients find assistance beyond CancerCare, including resources from state agencies and state-run treatment funds.

The Patient Advocate Foundation is another national organization that helps cancer patients deal with the financial difficulties of their illnesses. “We assist patients with chronic, debilitating or life-threatening illnesses….with [gaining] access to care,” says Cynthia Hucks, the executive vice president of patient service programs at the Patient Advocate Foundation. Among its support activities, the foundation runs the Co-Pay Relief Program, which assists insured patients with breast, lung and prostate cancer cover the costs of their prescription co-pays. Beyond its co-pay program, the Patient Advocate Foundation matches patients with case managers who can help patients explore other resources and insurance issues, such as denied claims, says Donna McQuistian Sternberg, the former executive vice president of patient services at the Patient Advocate Foundation. The organization also maintains a network of lawyers, the National Legal Resource Network, which can help patients who feel they have wrongly been denied coverage.

For help covering the cost of prescription drugs, patients can also contact the Partnership for Prescription Assistance. Made up of pharmaceutical companies, health care providers and advocacy groups, the partnership helps patients without prescription coverage obtain low-cost and free medicine.

Aside from medical and prescription coverage, many cancer patients face other financial needs during cancer treatment. Several national organizations can assist you with practical support, such as transportation, cost-of-living expenses and wigs. For instance, the American Cancer Society (ACS) operates local offices throughout the nation that patients can contact to explore various types of assistance. The United Way, like the ACS, also has locations in communities throughout the United States that can help patients find local services. Because it is has an international scope, the United Way is also a good resource for people living outside the United States.

In addition to organizations like the ACS and the United Way, which help people who are affected by any type of cancer, there are national groups that assist people with specific types of cancer, such as the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, or who fall into particular patient populations. One place to find these organizations is on our website’s list of support and advocacy groups.

Many local programs can also help you with non-medical expenses such as rent and child care. In many cases, cancer patients may be more likely to find non-medical assistance through these local organizations than national ones, says Donna Duncan, the executive director of the Linda Creed Breast Cancer Foundation in Philadelphia. The Linda Creed foundation, for example, maintains an emergency assistance fund that provides non-medical financial aid for qualified women in the Philadelphia region who are undergoing breast cancer treatment. In Oklahoma, patients with brain tumors can find financial help through the Oklahoma Brain Tumor Foundation. A good way to find resources that are available in your state is by searching the Patient Advocate Foundation’s State by State Financial Resource Guide.

Cancer can be a very expensive illness, and it’s important to find out what resources are available to you. If you’re concerned about the cost of your treatment, contacting an organization or a social worker for advice can help keep your financial concerns from becoming a financial crisis.

– Alanna Kennedy

Organizations and programs mentioned in this article:
American Cancer Society
Avon Foundation
Hill-Burton program
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Linda Creed Breast Cancer Foundation
Oklahoma Brain Tumor Foundation
Partnership for Prescription Assistance
Patient Advocate Foundation
Social Security
Susan G. Komen for the Cure
United Way

Additional organizations to contact about financial aid or advice include:
The Center for Patient Partnerships
Corporate Angel Network
Health Resources and Services Administration
Lymphoma Research Foundation
Sarcoma Alliance

For more information on groups that might provide financial assistance, see the list of support and advocacy groups on the Survivors and Advocates website.

Talk to justanoldman

Sometimes You Just Have To Laugh!



Talk to justanoldman
justanoldman   in reply to justanoldman   on

If Bill Gates Were A Redneck…..........

 in response to Mr-K...   Yep..... Winders is the best yet........
Talk to justanoldman

Redneck Mechanic's Engine Combustion

Don’t you know Pringles scented air increases an engine’s combustion? So next time your air intake hose gets damaged or you just want to improve the performance of your engine, just cut out a piece of that intake house, replace it with a Pringles can, and mend it in there securely with your trusty ole duct tape. Now you know what car tuners are talkin about when they talk about “chip’ing” their engine to improve performance. And here you thought it had something to do with one of them fancy microchips.

Talk to justanoldman

If Bill Gates Were A Redneck…..........

Have you ever wondered what Microsoft Windows would be like if Bill gates were a redneck? Well, we did. Here is what we come up wit:

1. Their #1 product would be Microsoft Winders
2. Instead of an hourglass icon you’d get an empty beer bottle
3. Occasionally you’d bring up a window that was covered with a heftybag
4. Dialog boxes would give you the choice of Ahh-ight or Naaaaa
5. Instead of ta-da the opening sound would be dueling banjos
6. The Recycle Bin in Winders XP would be an outhouse
7. Whenever you pulled up the sound player you’d hear a digitized drunkredneck yelling Feebird!
8. PowerPoint would be named ParPawnt
9. Microsoft’s programming tools would be Vishul Basic and Bishul C++
10. Winders XP logo would incorporate the Confederate Flag
11. Microsoft Word would be just that: one word
12. New Shutdown wav: Y’all come back now, Yah hear?
13. Instead of VP, Microsoft big shots would be called “Cuz”
14. Hardware could be repaired using parts from an old Trans Am
15. Microsoft Office replaced with Micrasawft Henhouse
16. Four words: Daisy Duke Screen Saver
17. Well, the first thing you know, old Bill’s a billionaire
18. Speadsheet software would include examples in inventory “dead cars in your front yard”
19. Flight Simulator replaced by Tractor Pull Simulator
20. Free eraser to erase the scribbble marks off the screen when using the NotePad

Talk to justanoldman

The Hunt Is On

I was going to go hunting, but my dogs, Grits and Gravy, just don't fit the redneck dog look.  Below is a true sporting redneck dog look....should be in Top Dog Magazine......

Talk to justanoldman

Be Afraid - Be Very Afraid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL

WARNING! Facebook now automatically scans your
brain through your monitor. To block, go to Kitchen Cabinets for a box
of Aluminum Foil. Wrap foil around your head, stay calm & breathe
through your left nostril. This is a serious problem & has been
confirmed by my cousin's girlfriend's neighbor's son's baby's mama and
her pet chihuahua. Copy and paste as your status & SAVE YOUR FRIENDS.
Talk to justanoldman

An Open Minded Redneck

Funny Comments and Graphics for MySpace, Tagged, Facebook
Comments and Graphics - Layouts - Photobucket

Talk to justanoldman

Information On Wegener’s Granulomatosis

Wegener’s granulomatosis is a rare disease, in which the blood vessels and other tissues become inflamed. This inflammation damages important organs of the body by limiting blood flow to those organs and destroying normal tissue.

Although the disease can involve any organ system, Wegener's granulomatosis mainly affects the respiratory tract (sinuses, nose, trachea [windpipe], and lungs) and kidneys. This disorder can affect people at any age and strikes men and women equally. It is rare in African Americans compared with Caucasians.



The first symptoms of Wegener's granulomatosis are often vague and frequently include upper respiratory tract symptoms, joint pains, weakness, and tiredness.

Upper respiratory tract

The most common sign of Wegener’s granulomatosis is involvement of the upper respiratory tract, which occurs in nearly all patients. Symptoms include sinus pain, discolored or bloody fluid from the nose, and, nasal ulcers. A common sign of the disease is almost constant rhinorrhea (“runny nose”) or other cold symptoms that do not respond to usual treatment or that become increasingly worse. It is important to note that other more common diseases (such as allergies) can produce constant rhinorrhea and Wegener’s granulomatosis is a rare cause of this sypmptom.

Rhinorrhea in Wegener’s granulomatosis results from nasal inflammation or sinus drainage and can cause pain. A hole may develop in the cartilage of the nose, which may lead to collapse (called saddle-nose deformity). The eustachian tubes, which are important for normal ear function, may become blocked, causing chronic ear problems and hearing loss. Bacterial infection can complicate Wegener’s-related sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses) with congestion and chronic sinus pain.  


The lungs are affected in most people with Wegener's granulomatosis, although no symptoms may be present. If symptoms are present, they include cough, hemoptysis (coughing up blood), shortness of breath, and chest discomfort.


Kidney involvement, which occurs in more than three-fourths of people with this disorder, usually does not cause symptoms. If detected by blood and urine tests, a healthcare provider can start proper treatment, preventing long-term damage to the kidneys.

Musculoskeletal system

Pain in the muscles and joints or, occasionally, joint swelling affects two-thirds of people with Wegener's granulomatosis. Although joint pain can be very uncomfortable, it does not lead to permanent joint damage or deformities.


Wegener's granulomatosis can affect the eyes in several ways. People may develop

  • Conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva, the inner lining of the eyelid)
  • Scleritis (inflammation of the scleral layer, the white part of the eyeball)
  • Episcleritis (inflammation of the episcleral layer, the outer surface of the sclera)
  • Mass lesion behind the eye globe

Symptoms in the eye include redness, burning, or pain. Double vision or a decrease in vision are serious symptoms requiring immediate medical attention.

Skin lesions

Nearly half of people with Wegener's granulomatosis develop skin lesions. These often have the appearance of small red or purple raised areas or blister-like lesions, ulcers, or nodules that may or may not be painful.

Other symptoms

Some people experience narrowing of the trachea. The symptoms can include voice change, hoarseness, shortness of breath, or cough.

The nervous system and heart occasionally may be affected. Fever and night sweats may occur. Fever also may signal an infection, often of the upper respiratory tract.


To treat people with Wegener's granulomatosis most effectively, healthcare providers must diagnose the disease early. There are no blood tests they can use to diagnose Wegener's granulomatosis, but blood tests are important to rule out other causes of illness and to determine which organ may be affected.

Most blood tests can only suggest that a person has inflammation somewhere in the body. Anemia (low red blood cell count), elevated white blood cell count and platelet count, and an elevated sedimentation rate are commonly found in people with Wegener's granulomatosis. If the kidneys are involved, a healthcare provider can see red blood cells and structures called red blood cell casts in the urine when viewed under a microscope, and the blood tests measuring kidney function may show abnormalities.

X-ray results can be very helpful in diagnosing Wegener's granulomatosis. People with lung problems will have abnormal chest X-rays. CT (computed tomography) scans in people with sinus problems may show thickening of the sinus lining.

Many people with active Wegener's granulomatosis have a blood test that shows the presence of a specific type of antibody, a disease-fighting protein, called antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies (ANCA). Although a positive ANCA test is useful to support a suspected diagnosis of Wegener's granulomatosis, in most instances healthcare providers do not use it by itself to diagnose this disorder. The ANCA test may be negative in some people with active Wegener's granulomatosis.

Currently, the only clear-cut way to diagnose Wegener's granulomatosis is by performing a biopsy (removing a tiny piece of tissue) of an involved organ (usually the sinuses, lung, or kidney). A healthcare provider will examine tissue from the organ under the microscope to confirm the presence of vasculitis and granulomas (a specific type of inflammation), which together are features of Wegener's granulomatosis. A biopsy is very important both to confirm the presence of the disorder and also to make sure other disorders that may have similar signs and symptoms are not present.


Talk to justanoldman

Hartford County, Maryland Senior Citizen Programs

Assisted Living
Medicaid (Medical Assistance) Waiver
Harford County Office on Aging
145 N. Hickory Ave.
Bel Air, MD 21014
Fax: 410.893.8239

 Provided through the Harford County Office on Aging. The waiver assists with the cost of assisted living. Must be age 50 or over. The monthly income guidelines is three times the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) guidelines which is currently $674 for one person, so the maximum monthly income would be $2,022. Level of care guidelines are the same as the guidelines for Nursing Home Medical Assistance (Medicaid). 

Senior Assisted Living Group Home Subsidy Program
Harford County Office on Aging

 Provided through the Harford County Office on Aging. It can assist with a maximum subsidy of $650.00 a month minus a $64.00 allowance and medical expenses. ass A waiting list may also apply.  Income and asset guidelines are:


  Income Assets
Individual $2,521.00 $11,000.00
Couple $3,296.00 $14,000.00
General Financial Assistance Programs
Accessible Homes for Seniors

Provides zero interest loans to modifiy home space in order to make the home more accessible.  Loan payments are deferred for 30 years or until the sale or transfer of the ownership of the home.  Applications can be obtained at the Harford County Office on Aging or the maryland Dept. of Housing & Community Development.

Must be age 55 or older and meet income eligibility.

  annual income assets
Individual $46,000 No test
Couple $52,544 No test
Food Stamps
Department of Social Services
2 S. Bond St.
Bel Air, MD 21014

This program assists families with the cost of food. Income and asset eligibility guidelines apply.


  Net Monthly Income Assets
Individual $903 $3,000
Couple $1215 $3,000
Reverse Mortgage
Harford County Housing Agency
15 South Main Street, Suite 106
Bel Air, MD 21014
Reverse mortgages help homeowners remain in their homes by tapping into the equity of the home. Equity is then paid to them by the lending institution, usually in monthly payments. Participants must be 62 years of age or older for HUD (federal) funding or 65 or older for state funding. The home must be generally free of debt. Participants must be financially eligible and must own the home.
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Social Security Administration
3435-A Box Hill Corp. Ctr. Dr.
Abingdon, MD 21009

SSI makes monthly payments to people who are 65 or older, disabled or blind and who have limited assets and/or incomes. If eligible, SSI recipients also receive Medical Assistance.  A $20 disregard may apply.   Income guidelines are as follows:

Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $674.00 $2,000 Social Security
2 persons $1011.00 $3,000 Social Security



Energy and Fuel Assistance Programs
Electric Universal Service Program 410.612.9909

Assistance is provided toward monthly electric bills to income eligible participants. Income guidelines are as follows:


Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $1,579.00 N/A MEAP
2 persons $2,124.00 N/A MEAP
Fuel Fund 410.612.9909

A one time grant may be provided each year to help with turn-off notices. Recipients must be income eligible.

Maryland Energy Assistance Program (MEAP) 410.612.9909

This program provides one grant annually to income eligible participants to assist them with energy bills. Income guidelines are as follows:


Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $1,579.00 N/A MEAP
2 persons $2,124.00 N/A MEAP
Weatherization Assistance Program 410.612.1649

The Weatherization Assistance Program provides materials and services necessary to make homes more livable and energy efficient. Eligible residents may receive insulation and caulking, as well as energy saving modifications to furnaces. Homes previously weatherized are not eligible. Participants must own or rent a house or apartment and must be income eligible.

Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $1,805.00 N/A MEAP
2 persons $2,428.00 N/A MEAP
Financial Counseling Assistance
Consumer Credit Counseling
Free debt counseling is provided and arrangements for debt elimination programs are available. This service will handle monthly payments.
Financial Counseling Services 410.638.3255
University of Maryland Cooperative Extension Service trained volunteers provide debt and financial counseling.
Housing Assistance Programs
Accessible Homes for Seniors

Provides zero interest loans to modifiy home space in order to make the home more accessible.  Loan payments are deferred for 30 years or until the sale or transfer of the ownership of the home.  Applications can be obtained at the Harford County Office on Aging or the maryland Dept. of Housing & Community Development.

Must be age 55 or older and meet income eligibility.

  annual income assets
Individual $46,000 No test
Couple $52,544 No test
Harford County Housing Program
Harford County Housing Agency
15 South Main Street, Suite 106
Bel Air, MD 21014
410.638.3045; 3046; 3050

This program is very similar to the Subsidized Housing Program. Individuals must be 62 or older or disabled, and Harford County residents for at least the past consecutive five years. A waiting list may apply.

Renter's Assistance Program (RAP)
Harford County Housing Agency
15 South Main Street, Suite 106
Bel Air, MD 21014
410.638.3045; 3046; 3050
RAP provides a rent subsidy to low income residents who are either homeless or in need of temporary emergency housing. They cannot be eligible for any other housing assistance program and must be capable of returning to self-sufficiency. There is a one year maximum period for the subsidy. Funding is limited.
Senior Subsidized Housing .

Some apartments in Harford County offer a sliding-scale rental fee to seniors based on income. Individuals must be age 62 or over or disabled. (St. John's Towers and Harford Senior Housing do not have a provision for the disabled.) A waiting list may apply.


Subsidized Housing Program
Harford County Housing Agency
15 South Main Street, Suite 106
Bel Air, MD 21014
410.638.3045; 3046; 3050
This program supplements the rent payments of those who qualify by providing vouchers to use with private landlords. Generally, eligible tenants pay no more than 30% of their gross family income for rent. A waiting list may apply. Participants must be 62 or older or disabled and must be income eligible.
In-Home Care Assistance
Caregiver's Assistance Respite Program
Alzheimer's Association

Respite services are provided that are short-term and designed to give family caregivers a break from their responsibilities. Fees for respite services are based on family income. Recipients must need help with tasks or be disabled and must have someone who provides them with help; or the recipient must care for an elderly, disabled person and need assistance with care giving duties.

In-Home Aide Services (IHAS)
Department of Social Services

In-Home Aide Services provide assistance with meal planning and preparation, personal care, transfers in and out of bed, cleaning specific rooms, personal laundry, transportation to specific facilities and money management. Income guidelines apply, and there may be a fee depending on income. Recipients must need help with tasks or be disabled and must not live in a nursing home. A waiting list may also apply.


Medical Assistance Personal Care Program (MAPC)
Harford County Health Department
Personal care services and light chores are provided for individuals who are receiving Medical Assistance (Medicaid).
Senior Care Program
Harford County Office on Aging

The Senior Care program provides services to help frail, older persons continue to live in their homes. Senior Care evaluates the older person's service needs, then a case manager helps locate and arrange for the needed services. Older persons who meet the income and asset limits may receive some services for free or at a reduced cost. Recipients must need help with tasks or be disabled and must be 65 or older. They must also be a Maryland resident. Income guidelines are as follows:

Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $2,521.00 $11,000 Office on Aging
2 persons $3,296.00 $14,000 Office on Aging
VA Respite Care 1.800.949.1003
410.642.2411; 5018; 5689
In-patient respite care may be provided for up to 10 days a year to eligible veterans.
Legal Assistance
Harford County Bar Association
Legal Aid Bureau
Referrals to attorneys are provided, as well as pro bono (no charge) service.
Senior Legal Assistance Program
Legal Aid Bureau
The Senior Legal Assistance Program provides assistance with legal problems, including legal advice, representation at administrative proceedings and representation in court. Priority is given to the most critical problems, relating to matters such as income maintenance/disability benefits, health care, protective services, nutrition/food stamps, etc. Individuals must be 60 or older and must live in Maryland.
Senior Legal Hotline
Attorneys answer legal questions for seniors. This number also connects to the Maryland Bar Association 60+ Legal Program which assists low income seniors with certain legal services, such as the writing of a will. Income eligibility applies.
Medical and Pharmacy Assistance
Donated Dental Services
MD Foundation of Dentistry for the Handicapped
Volunteer dentists are located who will provide comprehensive dental care at no cost to those with a "serious disability". Financial eligibility applies, as well as a waiting list.
Extra Help with Medicare D Prescription Drug Program
Social Security Administration

Extra Help provides asssitance to qualifying Medicare beneficiaries who have a Medicare D prescription drug plan.  Benefits vary depending on income level.  Asset levels also apply.  Extra Help may help with the cost of premiums, deductibles and/or co-payments.

Loan Closet
Harford County - Office on Aging
Durable medical equipment is loaned to senior citizens who might not be able to afford these items. Items that can be borrowed include wheel chairs, walkers, canes of all types, bedside commodes, shower chairs, elevated commode seats, bathtub bars and wheel chair and walker baskets. Incontinent supplies are available free of charge for those who cannot afford them. Donations to the Loan Closet are also accepted.
Maryland Primary Adult Care (PAC)
P.O. Box 386
Baltimore, MD 21203

This program assists with the purchase of qualified prescription drugs.  Benefits include: free visits to a family physician; and lower-riced or no-cost prescritption medications.

Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $1046.00 $4,000 MPAP
2 persons $1214.00 $6,000 MPAP
Medical Assistance (MA-Medicaid)
Department of Social Services

This program covers medical expenses (including pharmacy) for low income individuals. Doctors and suppliers must accept Medical Assistance in order for participants to be covered. It may also cover personal care services in the home, adult day care and transportation. Recipients must be income/asset eligible. Anyone on SSI will automatically be eligible. There is a "spend down" mechanism. Income guidelines are as follows:


Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $350.00 $2,500 Department of Social Services
2 persons $392.00 $3,000 Department of Social Services
Medical Assistance Qualified Medicare Beneficiary
Department of Social Services
2 S. Bond St.
Bel Air, MD 21014

This program acts as a "medigap" policy, covering Medicare deductibles and co-pays and paying for Part B premiums. It does not cover medications. To qualify, individuals must have Medicare Part A & B and must be income/asset eligible. Income guidelines are as follows:

Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $902.00 $8,100 Department of Social Services
2 persons $1,214.00 $12,910 Department of Social Services
Primary Access to Care (formerly Maryland Primary Care)
Harford County Health Department
This medical program covers office visits, basic laboratory tests, basic x-rays, alcohol and drug counseling, diabetes treatment and helps with prescription co-payments. To be eligible, participants must be  U.S. citizen or a quaalified alien between ages 19 and over and not eligible for Medicare coverage. They must also have an ongoing medical condition and qualify for Maryland Pharmacy Assistance.
Special Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB Q-1)
Department of Social Services
2 S. Bond St.
Bel Air, MD 21014

SLMB (Q-1) helps to pay a portion of Medicare's Part B premium.  The following income and asset guidelines apply.


  income assets
1 person $1,218.00 per month $8,100
2 persons $1,639.00 per month $12,910
Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary (SLMB)
Department of Social Services
410.836.4700 in Bel Air

This program pays for the Part B premium of Medicare only. Recipients must have Medicare Part A & B and be income/asset eligible. Income guidelines are as follows:

Size of Household

Monthly Income


Apply At

1 person $1083.00 $8,100 Department of Social Services
2 persons $1,457.00 $12,910 Department of Social Services
State of Maryland Senior Prescription Drug Assistance Program
Maryland Health Insurance Plan

State of Maryland Senior Prescription Drug Assistance Program (SPDAP) is available to limited income individuals who have a Medicare D prescription drug plan.  The Program pays up to $25 toward the Medicare D prescription drug plan premium.


  Monthly Income Assets
Individual $2,707.50 No test
Couple $3,642.50 No test
Uncompensated Care/Hill-Burton .
This program can help to pay hospital bills. Application is made at local hospitals and income eligibility applies.
Tax Assistance
AARP Tax Volunteer Program

Volunteers assist senior citizens and eligible low-incoem persons fill out their income tax forms at no charge.

Homeowner's Property Tax Credit
State Department of Assessment and Taxation
Persons qualifying for this program will receive a property tax credit. They must own their residence and must pay property tax.
Renter's Tax Credit Program
State Department of Assessments and Taxation
Eligible persons receive a credit of up to $600 per year for the amount of assumed property taxes they pay in excess of a percentage of their annual rent. Eligible persons must be 60 or older, or disabled, or need help with tasks, or a widow or widower, and must rent a residence.
Telephone Bill Assistance
Life-Line 1.800.525.0145
This program lowers the cost of phone bills for individuals receiving SSI.
Veterans' Assistance Programs
Army Emergency Relief 410.278.2508
Financial assistance is provided to spouses of Army personnel who died while on active duty or after retirement from the Army.
Maryland Veteran's Commission 410.836.4900
For qualifying veterans and/or widows of veterans, various benefits are available. Call a VA counselor for specific services and benefits. Some benefits include pensions, medical treatment, long-term care and burial.
Veterans' Assistance Program (DAV) 1.800.949.1003, Ext. 5384
Volunteer drivers provide transportation to Perry Point VA Hospital.
Talk to justanoldman

RedNeck Cow Wash

 You are seeing it with your own eyes.  An actual cow wash in Texas.....

Talk to justanoldman

Redneck Dish Washer

 I have been looking for ways to cut down on my energy costs, mainly electric.  This has worked so far.  Of course, a little slober might be left, but what the heck.......

Talk to justanoldman

Redneck Bottle Opener

 Just a little redneck humor to get your Sunday going.  I hope everyone has a good day.  We are hanging in there..... just keep trying to take each day at a time.  


Talk to justanoldman

Colorado Telephone Assistance Program (Lifeline)

Lifeline is a program that the Colorado Department of Human Services provides eligibility verification to telecommunication agencies only. LITAP is only available from the participating local telephone company that provides service in your area if your existing telephone company participates in the program and if you currently are active in one or more of the following state programs: 

  • Old Age Pension benefits (OAP)
  • Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND)
  • Aid to the Blind (AB)
  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
  • Colorado Works/Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
  • Low-income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

If you are not on one of the above programs you will not qualify for the telephone discount. Participation in a Federal program alone, such as Social Security, does not make you eligible for Lifeline.  Please ask your telecommunications provider if they participate in the telephone discount program before you contact the number below. Not all telecommunications providers will offer the telephone discount.

If you have a cell phone for your primary phone service, check with your provider to see if they participate in the telephone assistance program.

How do I apply for the Telephone Assistance Program?

Or call toll-free 1-800-782-0721.

Talk to justanoldman

Long Island, New York Nutrition Programs For Senior Citizens



To meet the nutritional needs of the elderly, the NASSAU COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF SENIOR CITIZEN AFFAIRS has established 16 Senior Centers throughout the county that provide a complete luncheon program. Click here for locations of Senior Lunch Programs.

These programs serve a hot, nutritious meal, fulfilling federal nutritional guidelines. Cultural diversity is considered in menu development. Seniors 60 years of age and over (and their spouses) are encouraged to dine together in a social atmosphere. Persons who wish to participate must register in advance. Voluntary financial contributions are encouraged.

This network links senior citizens into a system of services that include transportation, information and assistance, health and nutrition education, shopping assistance, and recreational activities. The program is conducted in cooperation with local sponsors. For further information, call:



South Shore: In Long Beach, the Jewish Association for Services for the Aged sponsors a program at the Long Beach Senior Community Service Center. For further information, call: (516) 432-5555

North Shore: In Great Neck, the Great Neck Senior Center, Inc., in cooperation with the Senior Mitzva Group, sponsors a program at Temple Israel of Great Neck. For further information, call: (516) 482-7800


The Department provides a substantial lunch and nutrition services to several other senior groups in Nassau County. Several of these programs target their services to meet the needs of special groups of seniors.


A breakfast program is available five days per week at the Department-funded Freeport Senior Community Service Center, sponsored by the Salvation Army.

Call: (516) 623-2008



Two meals a day are available up to five days per week to eligible homebound persons. This program is funded by the NASSAU COUNTY DEPARTMENT OF SENIOR CITIZEN AFFAIRS. Participants are encouraged to make voluntary contributions.

To be eligible, a participant must be:

  • 60 years of age or older; the spouse of an eligible service recipient; or a disabled non-senior residing with a service recipient
  • A resident of Nassau County
  • Homebound – unable to leave home unassisted
  • Living alone and unable to have nutrition needs met by family, friends, or others
  • Unable to cook and/or shop – due to ill health; lack of food preparation facilities (stove or refrigerator); or inability to meet special dietary needs

All potential program participants are assessed by a case manager to determine their needs and their eligibility for the program.  At least every six months, participants are reassessed to determine their continued eligibility and to insure their needs continue to be appropriately met. For information on accessing the service, call: 227-8900



A Registered Dietitian provides nutrition counseling to homebound elderly referred through the Department-funded nutrition and case management programs. Counseling is provided in the home by appointment only, and includes the development of an individually written care plan, based on a physician’s diet order, in addition to general nutrition education. For information, call: (516) 227-8974


Planned programs that promote better nutrition, physical fitness, and health are scheduled at the Department’s Senior Community Service Centers. Nutrition education material is also provided to all home delivered meals recipients. For more information on nutrition education sessions, or to arrange programs for groups of citizens, call: (516) 227-8934



Low income senior citizens age 60 and over who meet income guidelines are eligible for supplementary food each month. Once certified, seniors may select food from the Catholic Charities’ Mobile VAN. For required documentation, call or visit the CSFP Food Center site.

38 St. John’s Place
Freeport, NY 11520
(516) 623-4568 (516) or 623-4387                                                

Site Hours:
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Saturday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

For information on the CSFP mobile locations, call: 1-631-491-4166


Programs provide emergency food to eligible individuals and make referrals for additional assistance if necessary.

Lutheran Family and Community Services, Inc.

311 Uniondale Avenue
Uniondale, NY 11553
(516) 483-3240

Individuals must be referred by a social worker or member of the clergy. Call for an appointment.

Economic Opportunity Commission of Nassau County, Inc.

Each Community Action Program has an emergency food pantry. Call the individual site for details.

Glen Cove

(516) 676-4793/4942
Hempstead (516) 486-2800
Port Washington (516) 883-3201
Roosevelt/Freeport (516) 546-6121  

There are many community-based food pantries in Nassau County where eligible individuals can obtain basic food items. Contact:



This nutrition network provides hot meals without cost at four locations in the County.

211 Fulton Avenue
Hempstead, NY 11550
(516) 486-8506


This program provides emergency food assistance where and when it is needed and sponsors programs that help families achieve self-sufficiency.

Long Island Cares, Inc.
10 Davids Drive
Hauppauge, NY 11788


Eligible older persons can receive coupons (generally during August and September) to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables from local farmers markets. For information on eligibility, location of farmers markets, and how to obtain the coupons, call:



Some supermarkets and local food stores deliver. Some food shopping services will shop for a fee. In addition, some senior centers and community agencies provide shopping assistance at little or no cost. Call:


Talk to justanoldman

Long Island, New York Cash Assistance For Senior Citizens



Mineola Long Beach
211 Station Road 25-27 East Park Avenue
5th Floor Long Beach, NY 11561

Mineola, NY 11501

Freeport Melville
85 North Main Street 1121 Walt Whitman Road
Freeport, NY 11520 Melville, NY 11747

For information call 1-800-772-1213 or TTY: 1-800-325-0778.


An individual who has reached full retirement age and who has worked sufficient quarters under Social Security, is entitled to Social Security retirement benefits. For retirees born in 1937, or earlier, full retirement age is 65. For those individuals born in 1938, it is 65 and 2 months. Full retirement age will gradually increase to age 67 for those born in 1960 or later. Individuals may apply for benefits starting at age 62 but the monthly payments will be smaller. Write or telephone the local Social Security office for instructions concerning filing a claim at least three months before reaching retirement age. Individuals who are disabled before 65 may apply for Social Security disability benefits.


The spouse of a person receiving Social Security benefits is entitled to benefits even if he or she has never worked. Application can be made at age 62, but the monthly payments will be reduced.


A disabled widow/widower may apply at age 50. A widow who remarries after age 60 is entitled to the same widow(er)’s benefit as if the remarriage did not take place.


Upon the death of a person covered by Social Security on his/her own work record, a sum of $255 is paid to the widow or widower only if they were living together at the time of death or to surviving children who are eligible for benefits on the decedent’s account.


As of January 2008, individuals age 62 to full retirement age can earn $13,560 without deduction. One dollar in benefits will be deducted for each $2.00 a worker earns over this earning limit. During the year a person reaches full retirement age, s/he can earn up to $36,120 in the months preceding full retirement age. The benefits will be reduced $1.00 for every $3.00 earned over the limit. There is no limit on earnings beginning the month an individual reaches full retirement age.


Most banks and credit unions offer direct deposit to persons receiving Social Security and/or SSI benefit checks. This service prevents lost or stolen checks, delayed checks in the mail, and standing in line at the bank. Benefit checks are forwarded directly to the bank for direct deposit in either a savings or checking account. Applications for this service and additional information can be obtained online and from most local banks.


The ETA is a special, new account for anyone who receives a federal benefit, wage, salary, or retirement payment. This low-cost (maximum $3.00 a month) federally insured account is designed by the U.S. Department of Treasury to allow federal payments to be received automatically, even if you don’t have a checking or savings account. Persons who open an ETA at a participating bank, savings and loan, or credit union will have their payment deposited to their account instead of getting a check in the mail. For further information about an ETA, speak with a service representative at your bank. To find out where you can open an ETA, call:
1-877-326-5833 (TTD)


Medicare is a health insurance program for persons age 65 and older, and for some persons under 65 who are disabled or have end-stage renal disease. To enroll in Medicare, call the local Social Security Office 3 months prior to your 65th birthday. Persons who work past age 65 should apply for Medicare even if they are not applying for Social Security benefits.

“Medicare and You” provides a summary of benefits, rights and protections, and answers to frequently asked questions. Every beneficiary should receive an updated copy each fall. To speak to a counselor, or to obtain information about Medicare, contact:

1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227)
TTY: 1-877-486-2048

To access personalized information about one’s services and benefits, contact the following free, secure online site:

NOTE: Medicare benefits are subject to frequent changes.  Check nearest Social Security office for current information and for details regarding future changes.

Traditional Medicare has three parts:


Medicare Part A is available free to anyone who is at least 65 and is entitled to Social Security or Railroad Retirement benefits. Older persons not eligible for one of these benefits can purchase Medicare hospitalization insurance. It helps pay for four kinds of care:

  1. Inpatient hospital care
  2. Medically necessary inpatient care in a skilled nursing facility after a hospital stay
  3. Home health care
  4. Hospice care

Certain conditions must be met to entitle the person to any care. At the present time they are:

1. Inpatient hospital care

Medicare hospital insurance can help pay for inpatient hospital care if all four conditions are met: (a) a doctor prescribes inpatient hospital care for treatment of patient’s illness or injury; (b) the patient requires care that can only be provided in a hospital; (c) the hospital is participating in Medicare; and (d) the Utilization Review Committee of the hospital or a peer review organization does not disapprove the patient’s stay.

Medicare pays hospitals based on average costs for a particular diagnosis. This Prospective Payment System is based on diagnostic related groups, or DRGs.

Medicare patients remain entitled to all the hospital care necessary for the proper diagnosis and treatment of their illness or injury. The discharge date should be determined by the physician, based on medical needs, not by DRGs or by Medicare payments.

Concerns regarding hospital discharge date, quality of treatment, and/or denial of admission should quickly be brought to the attention of the local Peer Review Organization (PRO). The PRO for Nassau County is:

1979 Marcus Avenue HOTLINE 1-800-331-7767
Lake Success, NY 11042  

2. Medically necessary inpatient care in a nursing facility after a hospital stay

Hospital insurance can help pay for skilled nursing care in a nursing facility if all five conditions are met: (a) patient has been in a hospital at least 3 days in a row (not counting the day of discharge) before transfer to a participating nursing facility; (b) patient is transferred to the nursing facility because skilled nursing care is required for a condition which was treated in the hospital; (c) patient is admitted to the facility within a short time (generally within 30 days) after leaving the hospital; (d) a doctor certifies that patient needs and actually receives skilled nursing or skilled rehabilitation services on a daily basis; and (e) the facility’s Utilization Review Committee or a peer review organization does not disapprove the stay.

3. Home Health Care

Medicare may help pay for home health visits only if all four conditions are met: (a) the care needed includes part-time skilled nursing care, physical therapy or speech therapy; (b) patient is confined to his/her home; (c) a doctor determines that patient needs home health care and sets up a home health plan for him/her; and (d) the home health agency providing services is participating in Medicare. (If these conditions are met, either hospital insurance, Part A, or medical insurance, Part B, can pay for the care.)

4. Hospice Care

Medicare can help pay for hospice care if all three conditions are met: (a) doctor certifies that the patient is terminally ill; (b) patient chooses to receive care from hospice; and (c) care is provided by a Medicare-certified hospice program.

For a list of certified hospice programs, click here.

(NOTE: link to Medical, Nursing, Home Care and Long Term Care Services: Hospice Care)


Medicare Part B is available but optional to all people who qualify for Part A (hospitalization insurance). The monthly premium is deducted from the Social Security check. As of January 2008, the monthly premium is $96.40, and is expected to rise again in 2009.  Most older Americans purchase this medical insurance since it covers many items Part A does not cover. It can help pay for the following:

  1. Doctors’ services
  2. Outpatient hospital care
  3. Outpatient physical therapy and speech pathology services
  4. Home health care
  5. Many other health services and supplies which are not covered by Medicare hospital insurance.

When seeking services, ask if the person or organizations are approved for Medicare payments.  If they are not covered, the individual will be responsible for the bill.  Empire Medicare Services, the local carrier of Medicare, reimburses 80% of the allowable charge of approved services.


Medicare Advantage Plans (MAPS) are alternatives to traditional fee-for-service Medicare. Generally all health care covered by Parts A and B is provided through the specific MAP plan, and many provide prescription drug coverage as part of their benefits. The enrollee may have to use the plan’s doctors and hospitals for services. MAPs can charge different copayments, coinsurance, and deductibles, and may offer extra benefits.

Medicare HMOs are Managed Care Plans. In most Medicare HMOs, there are doctors and hospitals that join the plan (called the plan’s “network.”) Enrollees usually must get their care and services from the plan’s network. The primary care physician (PCP) is the doctor an enrollee will see first for most health problems. In many HMOs, an enrollee must see the PCP before seeing any other health care provider. Enrollees are also cautioned that the Medicare HMO and traditional Medicare may refuse to pay for health care services that are obtained from providers who are outside of the plan’s network. If the Medicare HMO includes prescription drug coverage, the enrollee will pay a co-payment or coinsurance for each covered prescription (unless the enrollee has Medicare and Medicaid, and is in an institution like a nursing home.)

Medicare Preferred Provider Organizations (Medicare PPOs) use many of the same rules as Medicare HMOs (Managed Care Plans). In a PPO, an enrollee generally can see any doctor or provider that accepts Medicare and the enrollee does not need a referral to see a specialist or an out-of-network provider. However, an enrollee will usually pay more for doctors, hospitals, or other providers who are not part of the plan. PPOs generally provide more benefits for lower costs than traditional Medicare.

Medicare Special Needs Plans may limit all or most of their membership to people in certain long-term care facilities (like a nursing home), who are eligible for both Medicare and Medicaid, or have certain chronic or disabling conditions. The Plan must be designed to provide Medicare health care and services to people who can benefit the most from services such as the special expertise of the plan’s providers or focused care management. These Plans must provide Medicare prescription drug coverage. Most plans offer extra benefits and lower co-payments than are available in traditional Medicare.

The following information should be carefully considered when making a decision regarding a Medicare Advantage Plan (MAP):

  • All care is coordinated by the MAP and PCP BUT, to take full advantage of the benefits, the enrollee should use the MAP’s participating doctors, hospitals and other providers. For some HMOs, there is no coverage for any out-of-network service.
  • An enrollee may be able to continue to use his/her doctor as PCP IF the doctor participates in that MAP. Check with the doctor before enrolling.
  • Enrollees may be required to get prior approval from the PCP for referrals to specialists for diagnostic testing and consultation.
  • The enrollee’s medical expenses will be more predictable since s/he will know the MAP monthly premiums, if any, and copayments are modest.
  • The MAP may provide the enrollee with additional benefits such as annual physical exams, prescription drugs, eye exams, glasses or dental care BUT it is important to clearly understand the benefits and any limitations on them, e.g., drug formularies, co-payments, cost share, etc.
  • The MAP will reduce the paperwork involved in the enrollee’s health care since there are usually no claims to file BUT the enrollee must take responsibility for understanding the benefits and limitations of the plan.

The Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs funds Family and Children’s Association to provide counseling to older persons who are considering joining a Medicare Advantage Plan or who have questions of any type regarding health care insurance and coverage. For information, call: 485-3754


Helps pay for prescription medications through approved insurance plans offered by private insurers. Plans vary in the premiums charged, drugs covered, and benefits offered. Extras help in paying for premiums, co-pays, and deductibles is available for individuals with limited assets and incomes less than 150% of the federal poverty level. Late enrollment penalties apply if the beneficiary does not enroll when first eligible.  Counseling and assistance are available by contacting:

Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP) (516) 485-3754
Medicare 1-800-MEDICARE  


Medicare Rights Center

The Medicare Rights Center (MRC) is the largest independent source of Medicare information in the country. MRC helps older adults and persons with disabilities get good affordable health care by providing free counseling and current and comprehensive information about Medicare options and rights. MRC answers questions about coverage and assists individuals having problems accessing service. Call: 1-800-333-4114

Medicare Problems

Persons experiencing problems with Medicare bills and services, or who wish to discuss issues of possible fraud and abuse, should contact:

Center for Medicare Services 1-800-MEDICARE  
Empire Medicare Services 1-800-MEDICARE  
Operation Restore Trust 1-877-678-4697


The Medicare Savings Programs (MSPs) are government programs that help people with Medicare, who qualify financially, pay for some of their Medicare costs. The programs, also known as Medicare Buy In, aid people with low incomes. There are four Medicare Savings Programs, referred to as QMB (Qualified Medicare Beneficiary), SLMB (Specified Low-Income Medicare Beneficiary), QI-1 (Qualifying Individual) and QDWI (Qualified Disabled Working Individual).

Each program has a different level of financial eligibility. Depending on income and assets, qualifying individuals can have a portion of their Medicare expenses paid. Benefits may include paying for premiums, penalties, deductibles, and coinsurance. An application must be made through the Nassau County Department of Social Services. Persons who believe they may qualify, but are not sure, should call:

Medicare 1-800-633-4227
Nassau County Department of Social Services (516) 227-8000
Medicare Rights Center 1-800-333-4114
HIICAP Program (516) 485-3754



Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap Insurance) is designed to help cover the deductible and co-payment gaps in Medicare coverage. Federal and State regulations have established minimum standards for insurance companies offering Medigap Insurance. The Center for Medicare Services (CMS) publishes the “Guide to Health Insurance for People with Medicare.” A copy may be obtained at local Social Security offices, or by calling:


TTY/TDD 1-877-486-2048


Insurance covering long term care services is sold by a number of private insurance companies in New York State. It is available both on an individual and a group basis. Before purchasing Long Term Care insurance it is very important to determine exactly what services are covered, ncluding skilled and/or custodial care both in a nursing home and at home. Policies should be carefully read and compared.

The New York State Partnership for Long Term Care Program offers policies which guarantee full or partial asset protection. The New York State Insurance Department has published a book “The Basics of Long Term Care Insurance in New York State.” To obtain a copy, contact:

New York State Insurance Department  
Agency Building One  
Publications Unit, 5th Floor  
Empire State Plaza  
Albany, NY 11257 1-800-342-3736  


This public health insurance program covers adults between the ages of 19 and 64 who do not have health insurance and have incomes too high to qualify for Medicaid. Family Health Plus provides comprehensive coverage, including prevention, primary care, hospitalization and prescription drugs. There are minimal co-payments for some services and care is provided through participating managed care plans. The application is the same one used for Medicaid. Contact:

Nassau County Department of Social Services (516) 227-8000  
Health and Welfare Council of Long Island (516) 483-1110, ext. 2  
New York State Department of Health  


HIICAP (Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program) provides information and guidance to Nassau County seniors who request assistance with health insurance selection and/or problems. It serves as the Long Term Care Insurance Resource Center for Nassau County and provides information, assistance, and counseling relating to long term care insurance policies, including the NYS Partnership for Long Term Care Insurance. It is funded by the Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs and operated by Family and Children’s Association. Call:

Family and Children’s Association (516) 485-3754  



Medicaid pays for medical care and services for individuals and families with very limited assets and income who cannot afford to pay all of their medical bills. It is especially valuable to older people with serious, recurring health problems because they usually cannot meet all of their medical expenses from Medicare alone.

A person may be eligible for partial assistance or for complete medical coverage depending upon his/her monthly income and assets. Some Medicaid recipients pay a co-payment for some services.

When seeking services, it is important to find out if the agency accepts Medicaid payments. If not, the individual will be responsible for the bill. Payment is made directly to the doctor or other health care provider. At the present time Medicaid may pay for the following:

  • Hospital inpatient and outpatient services
  • Laboratory and X-ray services
  • Care in a residential health care facility
  • Care through home health agencies
  • Treatment by physicians, dentists, and podiatrists
  • Eye care
  • Hearing aids
  • Treatment in psychiatric hospitals and mental health facilities
  • Supplies, equipment, and some prescription medications
  • Clinic services
  • Physical, occupational, and speech therapy
  • Private duty nursing
  • Home health personal care services
  • Transportation to Medicaid-covered services

To apply for Medicaid, a person or his/her representative must apply in person at the Nassau County Department of Social Services to determine eligibility. Call first for a list of items needed to determine eligibility, and for an application and/or appointment:

Nassau County Department of Social Services  
60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard  
Uniondale, NY 11553 (516) 227-8000  

Case Management Services

A Case Manager can assist frail elderly persons with Medicaid applications. For information, call:

Nassau HELP-LINE 227-8900


The Social Security Administration administers a program of financial aid to persons 65 or over and to the blind or disabled of any age who need financial assistance. Income and resource eligibility levels must be met when a claim is filed. For detailed information regarding eligibility, allotments, and application, contact:

Social Security Teleservice 1-800-772-1213  


The Department of Social Services provides financial assistance to persons under 65 who qualify by need and resources and are not eligible for SSI. Some SSI recipients without assets may receive limited additional allotments. SSI recipients may receive emergency funds if their check is lost, stolen or not received. Under special circumstances other emergency assistance may be available. For information contact:

Nassau County Department of Social Services  
New Certification - Eligibility Screening  
60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard  
Uniondale, NY 11553 (516) 227-8472


Families with low assets and income levels may be eligible for food stamps. When applying for food stamps, bring rent receipts, utility bills, proof of income, bankbooks, receipts for medical expenses and other items that can substantiate eligibility for this program. Since financial requirements change, to determine eligibility, call:

Nassau County Department of Social Services  
Food Stamp Unit  
60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard  
Uniondale, NY 11553 (516) 227-8523
For assistance with the application process, contact:  
Health and Welfare Council of Long Island, Inc.  
Nutrition Outreach & Education Program  
1 Helen Keller Way  
Hempstead, NY 11550 (516) 483-1110



Who is Eligible

In most communities, property owners 65 and over with yearly incomes of $35,400 or less are eligible under the following conditions:

  • Applicants must be 65 years of age or over. If husband and wife own the property, only one must be 65 years of age.
  • The combined income of all the owners cannot exceed $35,400. In case of husband and wife, if title is vested in one name only, the combined income of both must be considered. A few school districts and villages have set their eligibility at a lower income level.
  • Income is figured for the calendar year immediately preceding the date of application. Income includes Social Security, retirement benefits, interest, net rental income, salary or earnings, and income from self-employment, but does not include gifts or inheritances.

Unreimbursed medical expenses and unreimbursed prescription drug expenses may now be deducted from income.

  • The applicant must have owned the property or another residential property in the State of New York for at least two years prior to making the application.
  • The property must be used exclusively for residential purposes.
  • If a child attending school in the district lives with the applicant, the applicant cannot be granted exemption from the school tax.
  • The property must be the legal residence of the applicant and be occupied in whole or in part by the owner or all the owners of the property.

Where to Apply

Nassau County Department of Assessment  
240 Old Country Road, 4th Floor  
Mineola, NY 11501 (516) 571-1500  

Apply anytime during the year, prior to December 31 for county, town and school taxes. Residents of an incorporated city or village must file a separate application. Consult village or city clerk for exact filing dates.

How to Apply

It is advisable to apply in person the first time. Bring original or copies of the following:

  • Proof of age
  • Deed to house
  • Federal income tax report of the previous year
  • Social Security payment record of the previous year

Once eligibility has been established, renewal applications will be sent automatically.


STAR is the New York State School Tax Relief Program that provides an exemption from school property taxes for owneroccupied, primary residences. Qualified homeowners of all ages, regardless of income, may apply. Seniors over age 65 whose income is less than $70,650 may apply for the “enhanced” Star exemption. For further detailed information, contact:

Nassau County Department of Assessment  
240 Old Country Road  
Mineola, NY 11501 (516) 571-1500


The circuit breaker program provides tax credits to homeowners and renters with a maximum gross annual household income of $18,000. The amount of the tax credit available will depend on the amount of property taxes paid by homeowners, or the size of adjusted monthly rent payments paid by renters.

In addition to the household income limit, the full value of a homeowner’s property cannot exceed $85,000. A renter’s “adjusted monthly rent” must be $450 or less. Households who do not have to file income tax returns, obtain the tax credit in the form of a direct check from New York State. For further information, contact:

N.Y. State Department of Taxation and Finance  
Nassau District Office  
400 Oak Street  
Garden City, NY 11530 1-800-225-5829  
For Circuit Breaker and other tax forms: 1-800-462-8100


The SCRIE Program is offered in a limited number of municipalities in Nassau County to income-eligible persons, age 62 and over, who live in rent controlled or rent stabilized apartments. The program provides a full or partial exemption from future rent increases. Initial application must be made with the municipality. For further information, to renew an application or to file a complaint, apartment dwellers may contact:

New York State Division of Housing and Community Renewal  
Office of Rent Administration  
50 Clinton Street, Room 605  
Hempstead, NY 11550 (516) 481-9494


Persons who want to have their property reassessed must apply between January 2 and March 1. For details and an application, contact:

Assessment Review Commission  
240 Old Country Road  
Mineola, NY 11501 (516) 571-3214  

To file online, use the AROW (Assessment Review on the Web) feature on this website.



There are special veterans’ benefits available to people 65 and older who either served 90 days or more of honorable active wartime service or served less time but were discharged because of disabilities related to their service. Widows and widowers of such veterans may also be eligible for benefits regardless of their age. The Veterans Service Agency handles the processing of claims for compensation, pension benefits, educational entitlements, property tax exemptions, and burial benefits, and assists with the appeals process. In addition, it coordinates a volunteer transportation program for veterans to the VA Hospital in Northport and the VA Clinic in Plainview.

Nassau County Veterans Service Agency  
1425 Old Country Road, Building H  
Plainview, NY 11803-5015 (516) 572-8452
60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard  
Uniondale, NY 11553 (516) 227-8731  

Transportation to Northport VA Hospital or Plainview Clinic is available by appointment.
Call: (516) 572-8456



This program provides a once-a-year benefit to low income homeowners and renters to help pay for fuel or utility costs. Persons age 60 and over, and disabled and SSI recipients of all ages, can apply by mail. For information on income eligibility levels and application procedure, contact:

Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs  
HEAP Program  
60 Charles Lindbergh Boulevard  
Uniondale, NY 11553 (516) 227-7386


For information about WRAP, click here.


REAP is a program for Long Island Power Authority (LIPA) customers that can help limited income households better control their energy use and thus save money on electric bills. If eligible, a REAP team will visit the home and provide information on practical ways to reduce energy costs. In addition, they may install certain energy saving devices at no cost to the homeowner. Contact:

Nassau County Department of Senior Citizen Affairs  
WRAP Progam- See page 49. (516) 227-7386
LIPA 1-800-263-6786  


Project Warmth is a community-based partnership that provides financial assistance to enable eligible families to pay their heating bills. This program is administered by Long Island’s United Way. One-time grants are awarded from October 1 to March 31. Contact:

Project Warmth

Information Line 1-631-940-3749  



Persons who are out of heating oil or who are threatened with a utility termination, and who are eligible for SSI or HEAP, may apply for Emergency Assistance. For eligibility information:

EAC, Inc.  
175 Fulton Avenue, Suite 401  
Hempstead, NY 11550 (516) 565-4327
Talk to justanoldman

A Redneck Measuring Tape

 Hope this gives someone a good chuckle.......

Talk to justanoldman